Being vegan or flexitarian doesn’t need to be a regimented thing. Even cutting down on the number of animal products we consume makes a difference to our health and to the environment. By becoming vegan or reducing other animal products for most of the week, when we go back to eating a regular diet we automatically become more mindful about what we are consuming.
So what benefits does this type of mindful eating have on us?
1 – Reduced Risk of Type 2 Diabetes
Research has found that vegetarian type diets are better for reducing the risk of type 2 diabetes than “diabetes-friendly” diets. This is expected to carry over to flexitarian diets too.
2 – Better for the Environment
Livestock is a huge source of greenhouse gas emissions, and going vegetarian or vegan is one of the best things you can do to reduce your carbon footprint.
3 – More Affordable
Although there is a lot of variation in how much people spend on food shopping, flexitarian diets don’t rely on special ingredients. If you currently eat meat, it’s likely that you’ll actually save a bit of money by switching to a low/no meat diet, because you’ll be replacing the most expensive part of most meals with something more affordable.
4 – Benefits for Weight Loss
Losing weight can be very challenging to achieve,a vegan/ flexitarian diet is the ideal solution in a lot of ways, though. The basic reason for this is that plant-based foods tend to be lower in calories, so incorporating more into your diet helps you feel full but still keeps your calorie-count low.
Did you know that our kits can be adapted easily for vegetarian, vegan and even gluten free diets?
Take a look at some of our new kits* below which can easily be modified:
- Cannoli Kit- The essence of Sicily wrapped in a crispy pastry... amazing scents and textures bite after bite. Cannoli are the pride of the beautiful island of Sicily and with this kit you can make your very own at home.
- Polenta Cake - Polenta cake is known in Italy as Amor polenta, The first part of the name, ‘Amor’ (meaning ‘love’), is naturally a reference to the irresistible taste of this dessert, while the word ‘Polenta’ is a clue to its humble origins. This delicious dessert is a staple of Northern Italian cuisine, its light, fragrant, and bursting with flavour!
- Tiramisu- The word 'Tiramisu' literally means ‘pick me up’ or ‘cheer me up’, its a rich treat blending the bold flavors of cocoa and espresso with savory mascarpone cheese, and layered with ladyfinger biscuits.This Italian classic is a MUST try if you have a sweet tooth with a little bitter one hidden behind it!
- The Italian Bundle - Get all of the above in this kit. It includes all dry ingredients and everything you need to create the best Italian desserts.
- Diwali Special Coconut Barfi - Gluten free and can be adapted to be plant based. Available on the 3rd November
The Mon Dessert Team x
* All recipes can be adapted to a vegan diet using flax eggs and non dairy butter.