80ml whipping cream
10g of sea salt
Heavy based saucepan
1. Put the sugar into a heavy based saucepan set the heat to med/high
2. Sprinkle in your 80g sugar watch the sugar carefully whilst it melts and becomes a deep amber colour. There should be no grainy bits remaining. No spoon or it will crystalise.
3. Take the pan off the heat and add a 1/3 of you butter (30g). The caramel will start to spit and splutter. Add the salt.
4. Add the whipping cream to the saucepan and put back on the heat and stir with a wooden sppon/silicone spatula. If you have a thermometer you need to continue with this step until you get to 108°C. If you don’t once your mixture is boiling keep stirring for approximately 3 minutes.
5. Pour the caramel into a shallow dish and cover with clingfilm contacting the sauce. Leave to cool completely.
6. Once cool- take the 60g remaining butter (this must be at room temp and quite squidgy) and whip till very fluffy. Add the caramel sauce spoon by spoon until to have a consistent cream. It is now ready to fill into your piping bag.