By Mon Dessert
Makes 8 squares
- Ingredients included
- Barfi mix (60 grams desiccated coconut)
- Cardamom pod
- 150g sugar
- Topping (12 g chopped pistachios & 1.5 g rose petals)
- Ingredients to add
- 750ml whole milk (dairy or plant)
- 30ml melted butter (dairy or plant)
- Allergens from the ingredients contained inside the kit, not from additional ingredients: Coconut, Nuts
- Prepare 15cm square/rectangular dish lined with parchment, at least 2cm deep
- Crush cardamom pod into a powder, if you do not have anything to crush this with you can use the back of a spoon.
- Heat a pan with ½ the butter add coconut and crushed cardamom and pour in 750ml milk.
- Mix and bring it to a boil on a medium flame. Reduce the heat and cook until the milk is evaporated. Then add sugar and cook until the moisture is completely evaporated.
- Add melted butter and continue to cook stirring constantly until the mixture turns dry & leaves the pan. Press down the mixture with a spatula to check if there is any excess moisture. If it still has moisture, then cook further to dry it.
- Keep stirring continuously at this stage and cook until the mixture turns dense, thick, and sticky. It also turns very aromatic and leaves the pan. If you prefer a very soft set burfi, then take it off a bit early.
Transfer the mixture to the prepared dish and press down with a spatula.
- Set aside at room temperature for 1 hour and then place in the fridge for 4 hours or overnight to set completely (see tips)
- Sprinkle on the pistachios and edible damask rose petals and cut into 8 squares
- Store in the fridge for up to 10 days. Best eaten at room temperature
*If you are in a hurry you can put in the freezer for 1-2 hours to set. Remove from the freezer after this or it will be completely frozen and difficult to slice.